Monday, December 21, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Songs


As I posted a couple weeks ago, I said that I would post what my favorite Christmas Songs were. I am one who will not listen to Christmas music until it is at least a week into the first week of December. You may think, "Oh Amy...come on! You have to try and listen to as much of it as you can to get into the Christmas spirit!" I just get sick of hearing the same old stuff every year for two months. Or maybe it is due to the fact that when I lived at home, I would have to listen to my dad whistle "Jingle Bells" all year long, and so when Christmas songs finally come on I am tired of hearing it. One would think that my dad would learn a different tune to whistle, but still to this day he only does that song.  Ok...enough rambling...here is my list in no particular order.

    • Handel - Messiah - this holds a special place in my heart. I personally could listen to this piece year round. When I was in high school I was in the choir and also orchestra. Three years I had the opportunity to play selections from this piece and one year I was able to sing it. Oh how I love to listen to the music and the lyrics. 
    • Bach - Christmas Oratorio - When I was at the community college...I had the oppertunity to sing this. So hard, but yet so amazing once sung correctly!
    • Bing Crosby - White Christmas - Oh come on....it is not Christmas with out hearing this song or watching the movie at least once during the busy season. 
    • Chanticleer - Ave Maria
    • Andrea Bocelli - Angles We have Heard on High
    • Josh Groban - Oh Holy Night!
    • Amy Grant - Tennessee Christmas
    • Amy Grant - Breath of Heaven 
These are a few that I must listen to during the holiday season. I am sure if my dad read this list he would tell me, "You forgot Mannheim Steamroller! They are the best!"

This year on XM I found the Holiday Pops Channel which is Channel 77 for those of you who have XM Radio. Take a peak and listen to what is there. Think Boston Pops, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and Westminster Boys Choir; and you will have what is over on channel 77. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails